Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Adventure City.

Needless to say, I haven't worked all month and I only have 3 posts after this one.  Should I ease my concerns by thinking quality instead of quantity?  I am only worried because with my commitment to start and I would like to continue with this blog up until I leave the country.  Tracking the changes and having the opportunity to see where I have grown in my life changes as well as the challenges I have and will be facing is my goal here... 
The past couple of weeks have been odd.  When I go from working two jobs and having full days, it is hard to drop everything and have nothing to face the day with.  I remember waking up and thinking, "Please, no more"....  The past couple of weeks are a new feeling of I must get out of bed and find SOMETHING TO DO.... I have been feeling lazy, however, I have filled my days without napping.  

Another challenge is not spending money.  This challenge is actually not hard, especially because I don't have much.  The money I do spend is spent one things only necessary to live, however, I did break the cycle a couple days ago and bought an ice cream (gelato) and a slice of pizza.

On this note I have been going on mini adventures, in which I have spent a low amount justified only on the fact that I will be using the item to keep me busy in the apartment.  This particular adventure (pictured in the left hand corner) was traveling to the upper east side to find the button shop for four reasons:  1) The button shop, Tender Buttons, is a shop I went to in Chicago and found buttons for my wool tailoring on with 2 good friends of mine my senior year durning my birthday. 2)  Due to that memory I wanted to find the shop again the next time I was in Chi-town the following year with my new fiance and was never able to find it (also I needed to replace my buttons I had lost that I had sewn on my tailoring project at the time). 3)  I really wanted to find the shop in the NYC location because of the first 2 reasons. 4)  I wanted to replace buttons on another coat I had....

The adventure was a true one.  I challenged myself to take a transfer (which I ended up missing, haha) and taking multiple trains... I haven't really taken anything but the one train (because I really only need this one).  After the train fiasco I found the shop fairly quickly.  Seeing the large gold button in the distance was great because I remembered that from Chicago... (something I kept mentioning to Cyrille because I think the sign is so clever).  Upon seeing this button I was overtaken with a bit of joy and instantly took the shot.  And then found some great buttons to replace just what I needed.

Another recent outing was my "date" with Milly's father.  He had purchased tickets for a small opera at the MET and got an extra for a friend.  I was the chosen one, and because Milly had to work up until the time of the show, her father and I went to look at art before and she would just meet us there once the show started.  After an afternoon full of art and the show started, there was a mixup so Milly didn't get to go to the show and it was just her father and I.  After that we did get to meet with Milly and went to a dinner.... yum...

While I have all this time off, I have been reading and watching a dvd tv series through Netflix.  The book, Almost French, had me taken for the first 100 pages or so.  Mostly, because she is going out of her mind trying to find something to do during the day (sound familiar?), also because she is trying to overcome all the situations and feelings I will experience when I move too.  I am not finished, because the end is getting a bit annoying, but I will be done soon.

The hbo series I have been watching is great is an odd and weird way.  It is "Big Love", which is oddly a new obsession!  I am only on the first season, but I just watched the preview for the recent events and my heart didn't stop pounding!!  A must see.... 

Running is another hobby taking some time during the day.  I have been beginning to enjoy it and my new goal is to get through a 10k before I get to Paris!  

Now that I have been in the house for several weeks, mostly alone, the next month will be full of adventures I'm sure.  On Thursday a friend will be coming to stay for a couple of weeks so she can find a job and possibly an apartment.  I wish she could have come sooner, seeing that I was in the house alone all these weeks, but It will probably work out better this way because then I won't feel like I have to entertain her (even though she is here to find a job).  I am excited to see her and equally excited to start working.  

Cyrille will also be on his way here in about 2 1/2 weeks.... Can't wait.  I truly can't wait to see us almost living in the city together......


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails